Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Johnson Alan Johnson is offline

Default Blackcurrant bush?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Alan Johnson writes:

| There are some orange spots on one or two parts; they
| look like some kind of fungus. Does anybody know what they are and what
| i should do?

Orange spots are probably coral spot - which is, indeed, a fungus.
It infects dead wood within weeks in warm damp conditions, but
rarely causes any trouble to living plants.

Note that the "traditional wisdom" is that it can cause die-back,
but it is also possible that all of the cases of where it appears
to do so are where something else is causing the die-back and it
is infecting the dead wood immediately afterwards. Anyway, most
old shrubs have it on at least some of their dead branches, and
they don't die back.

I ignore it.

OK, Nick, thanks for that. I'll just cut them out.

But I was hoping for a bit more feedback. Perhaps tomorrow?

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de