Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default The Isle of Wight

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

In message , BAC
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White

Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths,
yet

First we have seen for years.

Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for
several
years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun shining
looks
like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of which there
has
been no global warming at all this century, and none is expected for a
number of years, that is the official UN report!

How can that be, if there is a direct link between greenhouse gas
emissions
and climate change, as we have been assured by panels of scientists and
politicians? Global anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions have been
increasing sharply, recently, mainly due to the understandable (who
wants to
live in the stone age?) rate of modernisation of developing world
economies,
and the growth in the world population. Shouldn't that mean a noticeable
increase in mean temperatures should be evident?

I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, or in which
direction you be being sarcastic.

To claim that there has been no warming this century requires ignoring
the existence of weather (in the form of interannual variability) and
taking advantage that there have only been 7 complete years in the
century (so that the trend does not overwhelm the noise).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ure_Record.svg

One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall
this year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

I was indeed being sarcastic - even though I can tell my Ninas from my
Ninos - because, it seems to me, 'climate change' hysteria is being
cynically exploited to hike up energy costs to the consumer, with no
realistic prospect of the measures adopted having any real effect on the
phenomenon.

except for those gullible enough to accept it and believe in Santa Claus,
the Tooth Fairy and the Loch Ness Monster etc :-(((

Mike

Gullible? Ha! Next thing I know, you'll be telling me Alan Titchmarsh is the
sheriff of the IoW.

Steve