Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default In- or Above ground veggie filter

In article , Chip wrote:

I had planned on building a 3' high veggie filter kind of like a
concrete block horse trough, tho prettier. However, I could also build
it inground with the earth as the sides and liner for leak-proofing.
I'm in Phoenix so rainfall and boggy area not a real concern.

Aboveground
Pro- Easier to clean with a bottom drain
Don't have to stoop over or kneel to work with plants
Can have waterfall start right off it's lip
Con- More money to build
Talent to build it strong enough to hold water securely

Inground
Pro- Easier, quicker, cheaper to build
Con- My back ain't what it used to be
Need 2nd pump to lift water to top of falls and for drain

What are your experiences w/ veggie filter problems and solutions above-
vs. inground?

Chip

I'm relandscaping my pond and going to add an inground veggie filter.
Seemed to make more sense for a natural looking pond. Will have it
higher than my primary pond.
My 53 year-old back is still in fine form (knock on wood), so digging
starts this weekend. That hard laabor always gets the kinks out, too.
Great catharsis.