Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
I'm bad indeed at bird recognition but I saw one the other day that I really
do not recall before. It was a very little larger than a sparrow and much
the same colour but while it was on the ground, its tail had a constant
'bobbing' action, rather like a wagtail. Can anyone help me ID this one?
Pipits are dull brown birds allied to the wagtails, bob around a bit. Little brown jobs all three regular species here, probably need an electron microscope to tell them for sure.
Whitethroats are fairly dull have quite a long tail which they bob, but I've never positively identified one. Long-tailed tits aren't remotely sparrow coloured.

I've changed my birdseeds this year, and we have attracted an entirely different crowd from usual. Goldfinches are now the most common bird in my garden. I used to put out niger seeds, but they didn't attract them, it is pre-shelled sunflower seeds that has pulled them in, the lazy wotsits. Siskins and bramblings have been frequent, birds which I had not positively identified before. I initially mistook the bramblings for (winter plumage) linnets, which we have had occasionally in the past.