Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Bird question

"The Old OakTree" wrote in message

I'm bad indeed at bird recognition but I saw one the other day
that I really
do not recall before. It was a very little larger than a
sparrow and much
the same colour but while it was on the ground, its tail had a
constant
'bobbing' action, rather like a wagtail. Can anyone help me
ID this one?

Sounds as if it could be a Dunnock? It used to be called a Hedge
Sparrow, and it looks superficially like a sparrow, though it's
not actually a sparrow but an accentor. They do flick their
tails, though I wouldn't describe it as wagging like a wagtail.

I would suggest those. We have them here and I have been easily fooled by
them

Mike