Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Plants for shade

On 8/4/08 09:38, in article , "Rhiannon
Miller" wrote:

I have a flower bed at the front of the house, facing the
window, with nothing much in it. It has daffodils at the
moment but once they're over there's nothing more. It's on
the north side of the house so it doesn't get much sun at
all (and I'm in Scotland so the weather is often quite cool
in any event). The soil is quite heavy clay.

I'd like to plant something herbaceous and fairly
low-growing (say up to two feet) with bright colours, to
follow from the daffs (ideally, a plant or sequence of
plants for the whole summer). I'd prefer perennials or
bulbs, but could try annuals if I could grow them from seed.

Any suggestions?

Rhiannon

I strongly recommend Geranium 'Jolly Bee' and the other true Geraniums, too.
They don't mind shade and they flower over a long period. G. Jolly Bee is a
long flowering plant and even better than G Johnson's Blue, IOO.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk