Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

I have seen the kind of bruising you are talking about on spawning koi. It happens.
LEAVE IT ALONE. as long as you have a bit of salt in the water it will do better
outside than in. If you bring it in you will have to do a clean up as the parasites
will explode in the warmer water of the aquarium and
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...m%20the%20pond
frankly, the aquarium is not as clean as the pond water after a couple days. In my
experience the only good hospital tank is a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank with a
heavy duty gravity filter and webbing over the top to keep the fish in.

What you might need is an "in the pond" netted area for isolation of spawn damaged
fish to give them a break from being battered. Ingrid

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:06:01 EDT, Pond Addict wrote:
The other side looks worse, but it's almost like how a bruise
looks worse a day or two later before it starts looking better. Not
sure if that's good or bad.

I also noticed that the eye that was a glazed isn't glazed as much
anymore but there's a little bit of blood in the area surrounding the
eye (maybe 1 cm going from 5 o'clock - 6 o'clock). I'm not sure what
that means.

There's also a visible trauma spot on the gill behind the right eye.
If you look at the original right side photo and zoom in, you can see
the start of that. Does that damage look indicative of anything in
particular? There's a small crack in the gill cover, so I'm thinking
(hoping) that maybe it was caused by external force rather than
something beneath the surface.

I've decided to bring the fish inside. I very nearly had it today but
I didn't have the inside tank ready, so I missed the chance. I'll try
once more tonight, but I'm not hopeful. I think I can get it tomorrow
though.

Also, my microscope came, so if I do manage to catch this fish, I'll
take some scrapings from it and see what shows up.

Dave