Old 08-04-2008, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Growing peas

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:02:24 -0700 (PDT), Rod
wrote:

You're mollycoddling them. I use offcuts of rainwater guttering about
1metre long, 3 parts filled with compost - yes the premium composts
like Levington multi purpose are worth the premium. You don't need a
propagator and you don't need anytrhing like 20C. sow on the compost
about 50mm apart in 3 rows, cover with about 20mm compost, water well
and cover with an old compost bag. Put them somewhere warm say around
16C is fine, in my case that's in my workshop. As soon as you see any
sign of anything coming through you can uncover them and put them
straight outside. Slide them out into prepared drills when they're big
enough. The technique for that is to water if they're a bit dry so the
roots aren't stuck to the plastic, ram the end of the guttering
(sharply but not too hard) against something solid to get them moving,
then slide them down into the drill. Water in to settle the soil
around them. I do this even with early sowings and find they will
tolerate a touch of frost but only if you cool them off before they've
had chance to grow soft. Protect them or keep them out of reach of
rodents at all times See Bob's post.

I would add to that the fact that unless the peas have developed a
good root system in the drainpipes, when you try to slide them out
they all fall apart. I know this from experience the only time I
tried this method. I think the peas need to form a good mass of
roots, well entwined, before sliding them out.

Pam in Bristol