Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Roses busting out all over!

Here it comes! 3 times this week a front will sweep through. Time will tell.

I have one road protected from flooding, now for the drive way and the
entrance way. I'm trying to divert water from an upper hilly area that
streams across my property cutting my small road system.

It takes a pick to get through the road, but water slices easily. This old
ocean bottom is a dense clay. We buy a dump truck load of wood/clay/sand mix
and then rototill in it into the new cut out garden. So the 'virgin' soil never
have had a rose in it is mixed with native clay - so the roses and other plants
begin to accept native clay in their root development.

My beloved and I heard on a mystery/plant show that roses don't like being
planted in the same 'old' ground of previous rose bushes. No reason - I
tend to think it might be disease or missing a unique chemical element that
roses absorb. When we get into that position, I suspect we will just rotate
some of this fortified soil into a different kind of garden or replace dirt
taken from behind the Yard Barn.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Gail Futoran wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Well after 2.25" of rain in 5 hours today. Storm line kept coming,
but slowly moved sideways.

But the roses love water seem to be putting out blooms left and
right
from the last big storm.

Martin

I've seen the same thing happen after a storm.

I'm hoping we'll get the rain predicted for later
this week.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA