Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Garden Labeling advice please

Dave Hill wrote:
On 9 Apr, 18:16, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Pat Gardiner" wrote in message

I'd like some advice please.

I have a large garden, orchards, greenhouses and tunnels.
Vegetables, soft and top fruit, vegetables both under cover and
outside.

Labelling takes a lot of effort, creates many blunt pencils and a
bad temper.

I have found a pencil that stays readable for longer "Rainbow"- but
even so, I like to label the many fruit varieties accurately and
get it to stay readable.

I have been looking at these machines that are about, they seem to
make a flexible label suitable for trees and soft fruit, but I
wonder if there is a dual purpose one that can also produce stiff
plastic.

Anyway, can anyone advise me about makes, their stengths and
weaknesses and the all important labels themselves.

I don't mind getting a special printer for the garden, as my wife
is happy to explain in detail I can spend like a drunken sailor on
it, but I do have 'puter and a good HP office printer.

Would I be duplicating something I can do already? Is it just a
question of buying the right ink and sheets of labels?

I would like, if possible, to print on both sides of the label.
Nowadays, I get some help and it is useful if I can f.e. print
"Prune March, pick October."

TIA

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner

I find that an ordinary HB pencil seems to last the longest and
doesn't fade, will write on most plastic labels
David Hill

Yes, pencils are best (nothing like using low-tech, is there?!).

Scratch labels aren't bad. See he
http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/BPSI.htm. Don't know if they
are still made, though.

--