Old 10-04-2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Large scale permaculture

In article , Charlie wrote:

We recently popped open a bucket of cornmeal on it's tenth anniversary
of entering into storage. Smelled and tasted just fine. Been stored
at a constant 50-60 F.

As far as the CO2 tank, I would think you would need a *very* slooow
release so as to percolate thru the density. Feed your CO2 or nitrogen
or dry ice from the bottom, as you no doubt realize. And fer cryin'
out loud, don't do it in a small space. Ventilation. And if you use
dry ice, I used a chunk about the size of a small fist, busted up, on
the bottom, dumped in the goodies and set the lid on loosely and give
it overnight to do it's thing, and then hammer home the lid without
having disturbed the container. If you want double insurance, toss in
O2 absorbers right before sealing.

I also tossed in the bottom of each container a goodly sized packet of
silica gel fer the heck of it.

Have any questions, ask. I've been thru this thoroughly.

Charlie

What kind of containers do you use? I'm thinking those snap top
containers with the rubber gaskets like the Grolsch beer bottles, 'cept
wider.

Nitrogen is a waste of money. It is (effectively) the same density as
air (which is 70% nitrogen) and just stirs things up. CO2 and argon are
heavier than air and will displace it. Still, it is best to do a long
slow overkill with it.

Where do you get O2 absorbers?

Got the first of the plastic sheets onto the pepper garden today. Our
days have been nice, cool breezy afternoons, nearly freezing at night.
The mosquitos are back:-(
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/