Old 09-04-2008, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Garden Labeling advice please

On 9/4/08 18:04, in article , "Pat
Gardiner" wrote:

I'd like some advice please.

I have a large garden, orchards, greenhouses and tunnels. Vegetables, soft
and top fruit, vegetables both under cover and outside.

Labelling takes a lot of effort, creates many blunt pencils and a bad
temper.

I have found a pencil that stays readable for longer "Rainbow"- but even so,
I like to label the many fruit varieties accurately and get it to stay
readable.

I have been looking at these machines that are about, they seem to make a
flexible label suitable for trees and soft fruit, but I wonder if there is a
dual purpose one that can also produce stiff plastic.

Anyway, can anyone advise me about makes, their stengths and weaknesses and
the all important labels themselves.

I don't mind getting a special printer for the garden, as my wife is happy
to explain in detail I can spend like a drunken sailor on it, but I do have
'puter and a good HP office printer.

Would I be duplicating something I can do already? Is it just a question of
buying the right ink and sheets of labels?

I would like, if possible, to print on both sides of the label. Nowadays, I
get some help and it is useful if I can f.e. print "Prune March, pick
October."

TIA

The problem with all printed labels is the fading over time. In a private
garden and with enough time to do it, I'd go for lead labels and 'scratch'
what you want onto those. Many places sell them and they're both attractive
and practical for the private gardener, IMO. Otherwise, my personal
experience is that Dymo labels last as well, if not better, than most
things.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk