Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
len gardener len gardener is offline

Default Large scale permaculture

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:41:18 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:
snipped

Len I seem to have missed this post somehow and gone on to reply to you
further down the thread - maybe I have a propagation problem, I swear I
couldn't see this yesterday.

Anyway I find much good sense in what you say here. I recall fondly the
market gardens embedded in or close to the city and it does make sense in a
world where transport costs are set to rise hugely. But how to stop or even
reverse the trend of turning such areas into housing?

David

g'day david,

some here think that this is my idea totally? but that is so they can
protect their comfort zones at this time. i responded to your post,
and along with what mollesin and holmgren also say we need change and
as you poijnted out it needs to start at some point or the change will
be harder and harder to do.

it took around 40 or 50 years for us to be taken to where we are now
so it could easily take that long to turn around. so it is no good
anyone exposing the hind quarters with their head in a bucket of sand,
you know what happens while your behind is exposed hey?

this will take a drive from the whole community, but alas once we say
never then never it will be. there is a lot more food could be grown
at home than what there currently is so even there, there is no effort
going on.

but anyway unless something new comes along this will be my last
response as i see it i'm only a messenger, the problem is already
occuring.

we need farmers with insight who can see that even without the
permaculture label (which is about all you can realy say) they need to
be very much more sustainable, and the farmers won't budge until
pressure comes from the community.

every time i see tv shows of england i see this monolithic castles and
edifaces with vast areas of well kept lawn and pretty gardens, yet i'm
sure like here there are people in those communities that are short on
food, so waht if you have to walk along paths between productive vege'
gardens or fruit trees to get to the building.

food does not grow overnight it takes time for all crops to mature.

take care mate.

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--