Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Mister B Mister B is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole View Post
Jeff Layman wrote:
Mister B wrote:

Btw I also have a Strelitzia Nicolai which I grew from seed about 6
years ago but it hasn't flowered yet.

Good luck! Have you sorted out a builder to raise the roof of your house
yet? I've only seen flowers on plants which are 3 - 4 metres or taller.

Erm yes, it's a large growing species, although by no means the
biggest, A few months ago, I stayed in a hotel in Kato Pafos where it
was planted close to the wall. Apparently the planting on that side
of the building was carried out some 18 months before and it stood
resplendent in flower - a good 4m. high and with lots of secondary
shoots almost as tall. Nicolai is not exactly a modest plant!

DaveP.

There's a great specimen in the parrot-house at the Zoo in Hannover. The plant must be about 6 metres high. The roof is about 8 metres high but that's still not high enough for the new leaves. Unfortunately they bend and shred when they reach the roof. No flowers on it though.