Old 12-04-2008, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Plum Tree and snow

gasdoctor wrote:

Hi,
Been a while since I was on these forums.

My Plum tree is in full blossom...and its snowed and seems likely will
do so again.
Should I cover the tree (about 12foot) and any tips for ensuring
poliination.
(self fertile Jubilee on St Julien A, in the west Midlands)

Cheers,

--
gasdoctor

Hi,

It's the temperatures that will kill the blossoms by freezing them. If
freezing
has not happened, you may have a chance. One thing I do to increase
pollination,
especially when their are no insects around to do the job, is to hand
pollinate with
a cotton q-tip. No guarantees, but you may get some plums out of that
exercise.

Sherwin