Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default Frogs

I'm not sure what kind of frogs they are, Jan. They originally came
from the nearby woods and streams. I thought they were just eastern
wood frogs or common frogs, but I'll look into it a bit and see.

The frog eggs have been getting left in the stream where fish don't
typically end up. The stream is fed from the waterfall and the main
fish-pond area is off of waterfalls from that, so the only way up
there unless your a salmon is through the skimmer pump. The big fish
never end up there, so I guess that's how the eggs survive.

The tadpoles are maybe 3" long with a big ol' head. They look like a
pretty big mouthful for the goldfish. I've never seen the fish
bothering them although the tadpoles are in both sections of the pond.
Sometimes they end up in my bottom drain pump's basket, but most
survive to be returned to the pond.

Anyway, you've got me curious so I'll figure out what they are.