Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default New here, advice needed!!

Caz Faith

Welcome to the list.

I am geared towards trees and their associates. If you are new and have an
interest in tree care or the cultivation of trees (arboriculture) I would
like to share this link with you.

www.shigoandtrees.com
Two books for starters would be World Wide Pruning Guide and Modern
Arboriculture. You may find them in your library or could request them..
Big pictures with a few lines of words. LUCID.

Second, here I address what I see as major and common problems for trees.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com and http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
If you have any questions about trees, if I do not have the answer, I often
know where to get the answer.

Again welcome.

that we are not the boss.

"Caz Faith" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, so please be gentle with me! lol.

I'm actually in need of some garden advice. I have a front garden that
at the moment is very dull and lacks privacy. From our lounge window it
looks out onto the front garden and the public footpath beyond that.

The garden is gravelled and has a rather naff and dated chain link
fence to border it. I would like to create a more private garden area,
so that when sat in the lounge the footpath is screened. We're not
looking to get a fence or anything too high. Say about 4 - 5ft high. I
need some advice on what is best to plant? What type of hedge that
isn't too costly and is relatively quick to grow?

Many thanks

Caz x

--
Caz Faith