Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Plum Tree and snow

In article ,
gasdoctor wrote:

Hi,
Been a while since I was on these forums.

My Plum tree is in full blossom...and its snowed and seems likely will
do so again.
Should I cover the tree (about 12foot) and any tips for ensuring
poliination.
(self fertile Jubilee on St Julien A, in the west Midlands)

Cheers,

Those are really very good questions. If you have an oscillating lawn
sprinkler (or any sprinkler), set it up under your plum tree and turn it
on, last thing before you go to bed, on those nights forecast to have
rain or snow (typically frost hits between 2 AM and 6 AM). The ice
production from freezing water will protect the tree.

The pollination is a good question, which I have never though about. At
this time of year, my peach trees bloom but there are no bees. The
pollen must drift with the wind. I could be totally wrong about the
pollination, but it must be the case. If you tent, I can see that there
would be a problem if you can't remove the tent during the day. The
sprinklers may damage a few flowers but it will protect most of your
fruit.

Bonne chance.

--
Bush Behind Bars