Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Babberney

Default Tree ID please.....

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:25:36 -0600 (CST), (will)
wrote:

Around town today I have seen several trees with magnificent lavender
flowers on them.

They aren't big flowers, but rather small "clyindrical shaped" flowers.
I am not sure whether or not they will open up more, but they were
amazing compared to all of the dull boring colors everywhere else in
austin.

Does anybody know what I am talking about?

I asked 2 people who had them in their yards what kinda trees they
were.....they didn't have a clue. I don't really think that they put
them there. They probably were there when they moved in.

Ok.

Appreciate any help.

How big are these flowers? One tree I see blooming now looks a lot
like this:
http://www.nmessences.com/healing/ma...h_house_h.html

I heard John Aielli refer to it as a "tulip tree" although if you
search for that you will find a very different tree than the one I'm
thinking of. I don't know the species of magnolia pictured in the
link, but I'm fairly certain the tree I've seen is some magnolia.

Another possibilty is a flowering peach or plum. It's a little early,
but I have seen some in bloom already (hope they don't suffer from
last night's freeze too much). A couple of Mexican plums on Shoal
Creek north of Anderson bloomed and leafed out already. Their blooms
were white, but I have seen pink/fuscia blooms on fruit trees also.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html