Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Frogs

kathy" wrote in message
Fun!
Reminds me when we set up tadpole nurseries in all
the second grade classrooms to save a population
of eggs and taddies and canoodling adults who had
chosen a pool cover for their nursery. Was wild.

Neatest thing was the day I came in to take care of
the tank and the kids told me there was a fish in amongst
the tadpoles. Are you sure? Sure enough, a tiny fish was
swimming in the tank. I figure he came in, as an egg, on
the anacharis I bought for the tank. We named him Egghead
and when the baby froglets were released he came home
to live in my son's tank.

k :-)

Fish eggs and fry can be sneaky, all right. I'm
setting up a new 55 gallon aquarium. Tonight
I noticed babies! From where?? There are no
(zero) fish in there. But I have been moving
plants around, and one of the source tanks has
three Glowlight Tetras, which are egg-scatterers.
I won't know for awhile if that's what I have,
but it was quite a shock.

Back to ponds: I started doing a serious
cleaning of my inground pond today. Several
pots have fall over so the water is dirty with,
well, dirt. I'm doing this gradually. Scooping
out water by bucket for several days (replacing
with fresh water each day, of course), and
eventually I'll get more aggressive, with a shop
vac or Python (if that's what it's called).

Several potted plants (marginals) are infested
with weeds and I'll probably just take them
out. I have more than enough floating
plants or plants that grow even though they're
not in pots (like my hardy lily).

Gail
near San Antonio TX