Old 13-04-2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Moving rhubarb

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Upstate NY, zone 6. I have a rhubarb plant which is too big for the spot
where I planted it last year. This was obvious at the time I planted it, but
what's new? Anyway, I'd like to move it, and maybe divide it & give some to
a friend. It's just now showing some growth, maybe 3-4" high. Good time to
move it? What about dividing it? I haven't lived with the plant for enough
years to really tell how it grows. Single crown? Split it like a hosta? Are
they pretty rugged plants?

Split like a hosta and if possible a bushel of compost per plant. Take
off seed clusters if you see them.

Bill who assumes you know the leaves are toxic (High in oxalic acid).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&sa=X&oi=spell
&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=stewed+Rhubarb&spell =1

We enjoy Rhubarb, sugar, vanilla as a stew with ice cream or just by its
self .

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA