Old 13-04-2008, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default grafting apples

In article ,
enigma wrote:

my grandmother had a really wonderful crabapple at the back of
her garden in western NY. she died last year & now my aunt is
thinking of selling the house.
i want to know if i can get grafts of that tree & grow them
on an old, non-producing apple tree here in NH. if that's
possible, how much time do i have between cutting the scions &
grafting them to my tree? what time of year is best? is it
possible to just root cuttings from the crabapple? i probably
have a year or so timeframe to get this done.
lee

Tough Question. Iąd start now and do a few every month till no longer
an option. Crabapples are tough so maybe they will excuse multiple
mistakes. Time ...unless you winter them in the ground , I'd say the
sooner the better. I do not know if apple wood can winter over buried
but if last resort give it a try. Grape hard wood cuttings can.

Bill

Anyone know better practice ?

Just sticking my Bamboo Begonia in water works.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA