Old 13-04-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Harding off advice

In article , Charlie wrote:

I have found that doing one transplanting before going to ground gives
healthier plants. I always transplant to three or four inch pots, I'm
using peat pots because I have a bunch, bought on sale a couple years
ago. I then pack the pots into trays. I also save and scavenge pots
from friends, my own, etc. This takes more room. I use palstic dish
pans and plastic cat litter trays (cheap ones) that I drill full of
holes for drainage.

Transplanting seedlings when they get their first true leaves gives
them a big boost for some reason and the larger pots allow for better
root development.

I haul mine in and out in garden wagons, where they stay until going to
ground. If it is too nasty out, I lay grow lights across the wagon in
garage. I have lost plants to wind. Wind is not good on them when
introducing them to the outside world.

Multiple transplanting is unheard of here. We start in 2 inch square
pots and move to earth when ready. Don't ask! )).
I'm in starting mode so will give it a try. Fun to learn new stuff!

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA