Old 13-04-2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Clematis

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:05:17 GMT, "BD" wrote:

I purchased a clematis at a nursery that was closing at the end of the fall
season last year. I planted it in the fall and hoped for the best. Well,
its leaves are beginning to sprout! I planted it against the house, behind
a shrub as was recommended. My question is, do I have to build something
for the clematis to climb on, or will it cling to the brick?

They do best on a trellis. I planted 3 varieties that share the same
trellis, one early and two late bloomers. This year one is trying to
grab the peonies support and I keep putting it back onto the trellis.