Old 14-04-2008, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Moving rhubarb

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Upstate NY, zone 6. I have a rhubarb plant which is too big for the spot
where I planted it last year. This was obvious at the time I planted it,
but what's new? Anyway, I'd like to move it, and maybe divide it & give
some to a friend. It's just now showing some growth, maybe 3-4" high. Good
time to move it? What about dividing it? I haven't lived with the plant
for enough years to really tell how it grows. Single crown? Split it like
a hosta? Are they pretty rugged plants?

I see your moving the rhubarb question was answered. Do you know NOT to cut
the stalks when harvesting but grab them down at ground level and twist them
off. I have no idea why but it's better for the plant, or so I was taught.
My grandparents had 100 total acres of blackberries, raspberries and rhubarb
they grew for market. The rhubarb harvesters were never allowed to cut/trim
the stalks until after they'd been twisted off. I have no idea if this is
true or just some old tale they insisted on when harvesting.

Val