Old 14-04-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moving rhubarb

"Val" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Upstate NY, zone 6. I have a rhubarb plant which is too big for the spot
where I planted it last year. This was obvious at the time I planted it,
but what's new? Anyway, I'd like to move it, and maybe divide it & give
some to a friend. It's just now showing some growth, maybe 3-4" high.
Good time to move it? What about dividing it? I haven't lived with the
plant for enough years to really tell how it grows. Single crown? Split
it like a hosta? Are they pretty rugged plants?

I see your moving the rhubarb question was answered. Do you know NOT to
cut the stalks when harvesting but grab them down at ground level and
twist them off. I have no idea why but it's better for the plant, or so I
was taught. My grandparents had 100 total acres of blackberries,
raspberries and rhubarb they grew for market. The rhubarb harvesters were
never allowed to cut/trim the stalks until after they'd been twisted off.
I have no idea if this is true or just some old tale they insisted on when
harvesting.

Val

I cut them last season and nothing awful happened.