Old 14-04-2008, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default grafting apples

Charlie wrote in
:

Cider?? How 'bout cider of the hard kind? ;-) Seriously,
have you had or made crabapple hard cider?

of course. and peary (pear cider).
not all crabapples though. it's the sugars in the apples that
convert to alcohol, so a blend tends to be best.

My grandmother had large crabapple tree and she made the
best jelly from them, gawd I'd like to have a jar of that
again. IIRC, given I was small then, they were a large
crab and were rather sweet along with the bite. I seem to
remember they were rosish on the top fading to light yellow
on the bottom. Maybe not. Hadn't though of them in years.
It was a large tree, if there is such a thing as a
standard crab. Made darn good projectiles for us
neighborhood kids in a crabapple fight.

that sounds a lot like this tree. all the old trees were
standards, unpruned apples can get over 40'.
my grandmother made the jelly, & sweet pickled crabapple
rings. remember those?

What? You calling Billy an apple? Crabby Appleton!!
(remember him?) But Billy definitely isn't "rotten to the
core".

yup, i remember. nah, Billy's not a crabapple.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there