Old 14-04-2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default grafting apples

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:52:10 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

So I guess that crabapples aren't demonstrably different
than other apples.

generally much smaller & a lot more acid than eating apples.
the tree i want to propagate has larger than usual fruit (2.5-
3") & some sweet with the acid. it is an excellent cider
apple.

Cider?? How 'bout cider of the hard kind? ;-) Seriously, have you had
or made crabapple hard cider?

My grandmother had large crabapple tree and she made the best jelly
from them, gawd I'd like to have a jar of that again. IIRC, given I
was small then, they were a large crab and were rather sweet along with
the bite. I seem to remember they were rosish on the top fading to
light yellow on the bottom. Maybe not. Hadn't though of them in
years. It was a large tree, if there is such a thing as a standard
crab. Made darn good projectiles for us neighborhood kids in a
crabapple fight.

but yeah, crabs are just apples that people don't appreciate

What? You calling Billy an apple? Crabby Appleton!! (remember him?)
But Billy definitely isn't "rotten to the core".

Charlie

Billy Rotten to you, punk;-) sheesh
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/