Old 14-04-2008, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default grafting apples

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 01:19:37 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Charlie wrote in
:

Cider?? How 'bout cider of the hard kind? ;-) Seriously,
have you had or made crabapple hard cider?

of course. and peary (pear cider).
not all crabapples though. it's the sugars in the apples that
convert to alcohol, so a blend tends to be best.

Do you have a recomendation for a reputable online source of yeasts? I
woould have to drive nearly 100 to buy from a store and I like word of
mouth recommendations.

Don't get the cart before the horse Chalie, first you got to get the
juice. Juicing an apple is an whole other story from juicing a grape.
Apple presses are industrial strength, heavy duty m-fs. Let me know when
your ready to squeez and we'll go over the rest of it.

My grandmother had large crabapple tree and she made the
best jelly from them, gawd I'd like to have a jar of that
again. IIRC, given I was small then, they were a large
crab and were rather sweet along with the bite. I seem to
remember they were rosish on the top fading to light yellow
on the bottom. Maybe not. Hadn't though of them in years.
It was a large tree, if there is such a thing as a
standard crab. Made darn good projectiles for us
neighborhood kids in a crabapple fight.

that sounds a lot like this tree. all the old trees were
standards, unpruned apples can get over 40'.
my grandmother made the jelly, & sweet pickled crabapple
rings. remember those?

Indeed I do, though Grandmother sweet pickled them whole. I remember
thinking the whole cloves were pretty cool looking. Foreign looking
things with good taste to a kid. Reminded me of pulled teeth. I also
remember the cracks and splits in them and the semi-tough skins and
soft flesh.

Sigh.......this has been a good day for memory lane.

What? You calling Billy an apple? Crabby Appleton!!
(remember him?) But Billy definitely isn't "rotten to the
core".

yup, i remember. nah, Billy's not a crabapple.
lee

I know.

Charlie

--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/