Old 14-04-2008, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst[_2_] Chas Hurst[_2_] is offline

Default mulch and gravel

"Ryan P." wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:

But we're not discussing your house.

.
.
No, but that's why I asked the original question.

Everyone has always told me that any dirt abutting a house should be
graded away from the house at the rate of 6" over 6'.

When you suggested he dig 2-4" below the level of the adjoining lawn (if
he has one), I was curious.

What does everyone tell you about gravel?
I removed all the the vegetation from around my house and layed down gravel,
mostly to stop the rain from splattering dirt onto the siding and brick
veneer. I dug down about 2 inches for the gravel so I could mow without
trimming. Here in SE PA we get a fair amount of rain, but not much of it
gets to the gravel bed and what little does is soaked up quickly.
I suspect the OP lives in a drier area since the initial concern was the
fire hazzard of mulch next to the house.