Old 14-04-2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Hawthorn

Billy wrote:
I have a hawthorn (Crataegus oxyacantha a.k.a. Crataegus laevigata). It
is only 18" high. I want advice on shrubing it out (I don't want a tree)
and on methods to optimize the harvesting of its' leaves.

With an 18" hawhorne if you're over 40 years old you probably don't
need to worry about harvesting many leaves. And besides, hawthorne
leaves are small and light, even from a mature 20" tall tree you won't
collect more than a bushel, more like a quart. I have a 20'
hawthorne, its leaves shrivel on the tree and drop slowly over many
weeks, they blow away before many accumulate. But with a 18" seedling
you really don't need to concern yourself until it reaches about 8'...
at least another 15 years.