Old 14-04-2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel Mckoi Reel Mckoi is offline

Default Buying fish on line

"~ jan" wrote in message
Carol, I'm surprised you mix your koi & GF since you were selling the
babies as koi.

I haven't had GF with the koi in several years. The GF I have are all
behind the house in 720g above ground tanks. I never sold baby GF or hybrids
as koi fry. It's easy to tell the difference between koi and GF fry, even at
an early age.

Perhaps I misunderstand, since that is what we were talking
about?

I don't recall a thread about selling baby GF as being koi?!?! I do see a
thread about GF harassing female koi and added that I did not have that
problem in my ponds. When my GF were in the ponds with the koi they both
spawned with their own kind. I saw no cross-breeding.

I guess I'll be learning more now that I have a designated GF only pond,
as
I was under the impression GF would breed all season long. ~ jan

Mine didn't. Once the water became warm all GF breeding ceased. The koi
bred on into the summer.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.