Old 15-04-2008, 12:37 AM
earthmother earthmother is offline
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mztrouble View Post
thanks! I've seen the wigwam structures, and have put some short canes in for now, but I am sure I have seen people growing it on fences - it looks like with no trellis so I am assuming its using wire but am a bit unsure!
hello! My first post too - I hope it's of some use to you. Sweet peas will grow and cling to anything that they can wind their 'tendrils' to but to get the best from them it is worth considering the following:
a) pinch out the tops from the young plants when they have grown two or three true pairs of leaves-this will encourage a bushier plant
b)they prefer to grow up something and can get to 8' high.The support should be sturdy - they do not like to be 'rocked' about too much.
c)They like a deep root run with plenty of good compost incorporated and must be kept well watered during dry spells.