Old 14-04-2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline[_2_] Pennyaline[_2_] is offline

Default Electric Mower

Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:45�pm, Pennyaline wrote:
I've finally gone and done it. Reserving my riding mower for the larger
expanse of my back yard, I'm replacing my old gas-powered
semi-effectively self-propelled walk behind mower with a spanking new
electric model for the smaller front yard.

How nice it will be to mow without that gas engine racket!

Electric mowers typically operate at higher decibels than petrol
models, also at higher pitch so much more annoying and ear damaging...
be sure to wear quality ear protection... shooter's muffs are hot but
they work. If your petrol mower is excessively loud ask yourself when
you last replaced the muffler, few people ever spend the $3,99 for a
new muffler each season.

My mowers are serviced every fall after the mowing season ends. Whatever
needs to be replaced gets replaced. The neighbors have corded electrics
and they operate at a whisper compared to the gas mower, even when it
was new and in top form.

And the cord will be much more of a hassle in smaller more crowded
areas... you'd be better off using the electric for your larger area
and get a small light weight gas push mower for your front yard, and
don't even think about self propelled for a small area, serves no real
purpose over short distances and just adds a lot of extra weight and
maintenance.

I can't push a mower, any mower, through my larger back yard. That's
specifically why I have a rider. And I already have a small light weight
gas push mower for the smaller front yard. It's the one I'm replacing
with the electric, 'cuz it's a killer. It's too heavy to push and
maneuver easily, it gets really hard to function in its carbon monoxide
wake, and because I must stop frequently and sometimes for protracted
periods when mowing with a walk behind it is outrageously inconvenient
when I must stop and start the engine continually. A CO-less electric
with quick and easy on and off function is the way to go for me when it
comes to walk behinds.

Many years ago I bought a Black & Decker electric mower (cost like $50
back then), used it once and relegated it to the shed, eventually gave
it away... mowing with a wire is a lot different from hedge trimming
with a wire... with mowing you move along a lot faster than with hedge
trimming, the wire is one big PIA.

I'm not what I used to be, Sheldon, and I don't move very fast anymore.
Keeping track of a cord is pretty easy for one who needs to stop as
often as I do.

They do make rechargeable battery
operated electric mowers but I never looked into those.

Twenty pounds heavier, and up to four hundred dollars more depending on
the make and model.

Electric
mowers are also a lot more dangerous, be absolutely certain to disable
it from the power source before even looking underneath.

Yes, Dad.

Maybe now
they have better safety features but my B & D had an ordinary toggle
switch, very easy to brush against and turn the unit on, for safety it
had to be unplugged manually every time it was turned off...

Okay, Dad.

and make
sure the switch was off before plugging in.

I will, Dad.

I really see no advantage
to an electric mower... won't save on fuel either, electric ain't
free.

Electricity ain't free but these days it's a damn sight cheaper than
shelling out for gasoline. Moreover, I'm in Utah, the land of perpetual
sunshine. Solar energy is a reality here.

The *only* advantage I can think of is not having to store
gasolene, but you will be using that rider so...

The walk behind was used more than the rider, so eliminating it should
make a difference in how much gasoline I have to purchase just to store
it. And HOT DAMN! I know I can't afford them, but I'm off to ogle those
battery-powered riders!