Old 14-04-2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default sweet peas

In article ,
mor wrote:

mztrouble;784418 Wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here so firstly want to say hello!! My OH and I brought a house
with a teeny tiny garden last August and have been slowly working on it.
Got some nice young plants in and haven't killed any yet (touching lots
of wood!!)

However, I have grown some sweet peas from seed in little trays and
they are getting quite strong and are probably ready to grow. My
question is... do I need to put bamboo stakes in or can I just put
garden wire along the fence? I have no idea other than they need a lot
of support (apparrently??)

Has anyone any suggestions? Thx in advance!

and not from England but l read that the english use bamboo canes to
support the sweet peas ,and sometime they let it grow around a wigwam
structure

In my limited gardening adventures:

I have only grown the climbing vine types. The wigwam structure was best
for me for peas and beans. Birds tend to stand on the fence wire and
poop all over the plants. With the wigwam there is only the center for a
bird to sit on and poop. For the bush types, I am not sure if any
support is needed.

I never could get peas or beans to grow well from seed trays. The roots
always grow right through the bottom and into the mats when the the true
leaves start to come out, making it a mess. I always plant peas and
beans directly into the garden.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.