Old 15-04-2008, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Moving rhubarb

"Val" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Upstate NY, zone 6. I have a rhubarb plant which is too big for the spot
where I planted it last year. This was obvious at the time I planted it,
but what's new? Anyway, I'd like to move it, and maybe divide it & give
some to a friend. It's just now showing some growth, maybe 3-4" high. Good
time to move it? What about dividing it? I haven't lived with the plant
for enough years to really tell how it grows. Single crown? Split it like
a hosta? Are they pretty rugged plants?

I see your moving the rhubarb question was answered. Do you know NOT to cut
the stalks when harvesting but grab them down at ground level and twist them
off. I have no idea why but it's better for the plant, or so I was taught.
My grandparents had 100 total acres of blackberries, raspberries and rhubarb
they grew for market. The rhubarb harvesters were never allowed to cut/trim
the stalks until after they'd been twisted off. I have no idea if this is
true or just some old tale they insisted on when harvesting.

The quick answer is that it is just easier that way and you avoid accidentally
cutting part of the plant that you didn't want to cut (or yourself) which may
be a consideration if you want to work fast. If you are selling by weight you
get a bit more weight than if you cut it but it generally sells by the bunch.

As others have said the stuff is pretty indestructable.

David