Old 15-04-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default To prune or am I too late....

On 4/15/2008 12:03 AM, sherwindu wrote [in part]:

I previously wrote [also in part]:

Certain flowering trees should be pruned immediately after they flower.

Flowers are not my forte, but I thought the kind of pruning you are
suggesting is meant to stimulate further blooming. I think the O.P. wants
to open up his plants and untangle them.

You prune flowering stone fruits (and possibly flowering pome fruits)
after they bloom, not to promote additional flowering in the same
season, but to promote the growth that will flower in the next year.
This is a comprehensive pruning, to open up the branch structure, remove
deadwood, and stimulate new growth. It's the same kind of pruning that
I do in January on my fruiting peach tree before it flowers. However, a
comprehensive pruning removes some flowering wood. Thus, you wait until
after ornamental "fruit" trees flower before you prune them.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean