Old 16-04-2008, 06:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default mulch and gravel

"Ryan P." wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:

But we're not discussing your house.

.
.
No, but that's why I asked the original question.

Everyone has always told me that any dirt abutting a house should be
graded away from the house at the rate of 6" over 6'.

When you suggested he dig 2-4" below the level of the adjoining lawn (if
he has one), I was curious.

Apparently, the lad doesn't understand the correlation. Granted, not a
usual part of this newsgroup topic. They are inter-related. And important.

1/4" fall on one foot of travel is considered adequate for ordinary
drainage. It is wise to increase the fall as you also have problems with
soaking of the material (soil) carrying the rainfall away from the house.
There is no hard and fast rule. Seems to me it would depend on the soil
type and foliage that covers the soil.

A hard and fast rule regarding drainage around a home is simple. The
moisture level of the soil should be consistent adjoining the foundation.
Excessive moisture and dryness of that soil can undermine the foundation of
the house. Especially if a clay type soil.
--
Dave