Old 16-04-2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel Mckoi Reel Mckoi is offline

Default Are water changes really necessary?

"Joan" wrote in message

Okay, thanks. How often do you do the partial water changes, and what
percentage do you change?

When you do the cleanout, what do you do with your fish?

================================
About once a month I drain off about a third of the water. We don't really
measure it. Then slowly refill from the hose using a dechlorinator. We buy
the crystals and mix our own. Or you can degass the water by running it in
slowly over a trashcan lid exposing a thin layer of water to the air. That
is if you have something to set the lit on over the water. You can also add
water by letting it run down a waterfall. If you have chloromines in your
water that will not work.

When we do a draindown all the fish go in to an aerated child's kiddy pool
of 1/2 pond and 1/2 fresh water with a hardware cloth surround and net over
the top because fish jump. We also have too many predators here not to net
the top. I add plants and a floating cooler lid for them to hide under. They

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
Zone 6. Middle TN USA