Old 16-04-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ideal Plant To Grown Along Top Of Fence

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:48:37 +0100, KarinB
wrote:

Due to constant high winds in the winters we have had to reduce the
height of our dividing rear garden fence to about 5' (it was
originally 6') and now when out in the garden I feel that my privacy is
exposed.

Can anyone tell of a suitable plant that could be grown up the fence
and along the top in order to give us a few more inches of privacy,
something quick growing if possible.

I'm not a great gardener and all I can think of is Ivy but I'm sure
there's other plants.

Only drawback is that if it has to be grown from in the ground it will
have to be a plant that is not harmful to our two pet bunnies. I was
thinking that if the plant is dangerous for them, could it be grown
from a wall basket part way up the fence?

Many thanks.

Honey suckle grows well in Ohio and grows wild in Tennessee. It grows
fast and thick during the summer months and draws bees and
hummingbirds. The house where I grew up had a honey suckle bush next
to the bathroom window and it gave the bathroom a nice fragrance. The
yellow flowers seem to have a stronger aroma. For some reason robins
liked to build a nest there every year and we had a close up view of
the progress. Do you need the extra privacy in the winter?