Old 16-04-2008, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Books

In article
,
Billy wrote:

A kind poster said I directed him/her to "Omnivore's Dilemma"
and "Teaming with Microbes" and is enjoying the former and
preparing to read the later. "Teaming with Microbes" is
important in understanding humanity's impact on soil whether you
garden or not. "Omnivore", though, takes you places where you've
never been and explains thing that you never thought of and in
doing so gives an incredibly enabling overview of human nutrition,
or the lack of it, additionally, it is also a real page turner. I feel
fortunate to have read it.

There are two other books that I would like to recommend that also
deal with the biosphere, both are crammed with information that
seems to flow effortlessly from the books, and they are both by
Jared Diamond. The first is "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human
Societies" which, in part, traces the development of our food
supply. You will see the world with new eyes.
http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Ste...393061310/ref=
pd_sim_b_img_1

The other book is "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or
Succeed", which exhibits societies from the Bitterroot Valley of
Montana, to the Viking outposts of Greenland, to the ancient land
of Australia that show good stewardship of the land and those that
didn't. A wonderful read.
http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Socie...d/dp/B000IJ7Q3
2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208368189&sr=1-1

Both these books are real page turners and you will feel much
wiser for having read them.

"Omnivore's Dilemma" has me searching for more information in other
areas. Chapter one was a quick overview on the chemistry of plants.
The author states that there are five C-4 edible plants, "corn" is one,
later on in the book "cane sugar" is another. What are the others?

I have been looking for a book that describes what these acronym's mean:
C-3, C-4, F-1, F-2, H-1... I have seen these acronym's often on seed
packets and I am curious of the meaning of what these terms are. Know of
any books?

"Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed". Sounds cool also.
I am an avid reader of science fiction. Why I like science fiction is
they often describe "what if societies" and from these books from:
Robert A. Heinlen, Neal Stephenson and Vernor Vinge. From these books I
have a good idea how societies might succeed or fail, even from an
agricultural point of view.

From this book, "Please Understand Me II by David Keirsey" second
edition. Tells me indirectly why societies will Fail or Succeed. From
this book I found in short order who I will probably get along with and
who I will not. Why some people will listen to reason and those who will
not. Why many people will bend to fear and those who will not. Most
people will not listen to reason no matter what proof one has. Why some
care about others and why others will take advantage of others. The
author states our brains are hard wired from birth into sixteen
personalities. I am an "ENTJ", a messed up "ENTJ" but still an "ENTJ".
Everyone on this plant has been type casted, you can believe it or not.
This is also a top ten favorite book of mine.

After reading "Omnivore's Dilemma", I can comfortably state that "I am
maize" and uncomfortably state that "I was unknowingly a product of
Cargill"

A kind poster .... sometimes
Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.