Old 16-04-2008, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Tom seedlings

Sacha wrote:
On 16/4/08 17:25, in article ,
"Pete C" wrote:

Judith in France wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:29 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Not come across this before. I have a dozen or so tom seedlings
in a multichamber tray on my windowsill. 3 diff varieties. They
are 1" to 2" atm. About half of them have leaf tips which are
browning, and going dry and crumbly. It's mainly the smaller
ones, the bigger ones are fine. What's up (doc)
--
Pete C
London UK

Which windowcill Pete? Kitchen, sitting room? If kitchen it could
be that steam from cooking moistens the air and then the sun shines
directlt in on the seedlings?

It has happened to me in a greenhouse but that was because it was a
very hot day and I didn't open the air vent.

Judith

Kitchen.............diner end. I've used the same windowsill before
with no prob. It isn't too warm either, cos the CH boiler has broken
down!
Oh well...........

Just a thought but could it be uneven watering? Have they dried out
at some point and then been quickly watered again? As you've grown
them before, you obviously know what you're doing. The only other
thing I can think of is "don't let the leaves touch the windows" but
I'm sure you know that. Which variety is it that you're having
trouble with? That might help to identify the problem.

Problem with Gardeners Delight and Moneymaker. Marmalade are fine. Watered
lightly from the bottom each evening.. Nothing touching the leaves. Thanks
for the thoughts
--
Pete C
London UK