Old 17-04-2008, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Please help with popcorn plants

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

In article ,
Player1 wrote:

The white material looks like salt or sugar. It can't be
wiped off as it seems to be in the main veins of the
leaves. But not all leaves have it - only 1 or 2 on every
plant. It seems like a problem, as it causes the leaves to
break (they stay green and alive though). If it can't be
wiped off, may it still be a fungus?

And unfortunately - no neighbours who grow corn.

OK, I'm stumped. Charlie, Rachel, Ann, enigma, Om, Emilie,
Bill, Joe, come on, we have the reputation of wrecked
gardens to uphold. Any ideas?

i'd guess it's not causing the leaves to break, but the
breaking leaves are causing the crystaline 'stuff'.
also, corn leaves break. it doesn't really affect the plant.
we're not talking houseplant that always looks tidy. we're
talking corn, which grows best in blocks fairly close together
so that it acts as it's own windbreak & also so the corn can
pollanate. single plants in pots are going to look tatty & not
produce. it's just not a houseplant.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair