Old 17-04-2008, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default unexpected visitor

On 16/4/08 22:45, in article ,
"Mogga" wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:29:54 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Found this beauty in my greenhouse today, it let me pick it up and posed
for this before releasing. Should have been cross as it has eaten all the
male blackbirds over the last two weeks
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/visitor.htm

Do they go for bigger things than blackbirds too? We've got some of
those collared dove things and I saw a speeding blur steal tail
fathers from a CD on the bid table - and a burst of feathers as the CD
escaped. I've not spotted anything that looks capable of eating one
though.

They definitely do! We had white doves here at one time and a sparrowhawk
was treating them as a sort of meals on wheels. In the end we took the
remaining birds back to the original supplier. I couldn't bear to think
that even while enjoying their beauty, we were condemning them to certain
death. We get quite a lot of collared doves here and all too often we find
a puff of feathers somewhere in the garden. They seem to draw the line at
wood pigeons, though.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk