Old 17-04-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel Mckoi Reel Mckoi is offline

Default Are water changes really necessary?

"Joan" wrote in message
Fortunately, I live in Pacific Northwest like you, where we get plenty
of rain in the fall, winter, and spring, and the pond has a nice
overflow, so I think we've been getting some water exchange that way.

Rain, containing no minerals, will soften your water, washing out your
buffering capacity and lowering your PH. Check after a heavy rain.

We can't use the pond vac in our ponds because one pond is too deep and in
both, and the "stuff" at the bottom clogs in the hose. If these vacs work
for you - more power to you! :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.