Old 17-04-2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Are water changes really necessary?

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:57:14 EDT, wrote:

your tap or rain water has heavy metals?

It could, Columbia River, heavily polluted by slag from Canada. Why we
filter it.

I have no idea what the OP has, so always take that into consideration when
offering advice.

The parasites and bacteria are ON the fish, not usually free in the water.

Not if their slime coat & immune system is working. Parasites have free
swimming cycles and bacterium blows in the wind, and like parasites ca
enter the water on critters' feet/bodies.

up here in the frozen wasteland one DOES NOT open the windows all fall, winter and
spring. instead we use air exchangers. a veggie filter is like an air exchanger and
the surface of the water exchanges gases.

Apples and oranges, square footage, I bet there are less people in your
house space-wise as there are in fish in your pond.

I think more fish die each year from people forgetting that the water is running than
in ponds with a veggie filter. Ingrid

I disagree, there are water timers that auto shut off for the forgetful.
Plus it goes against all documentation to advise not doing water change
outs. Noga surely recommends them? He, I believe, recommends the small
frequent water change, as would I, because it doesn't change the temp, or
pH by much, and that kills more fish than forgetful people, who probably
shouldn't own pets in general. ;-) ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us