Old 18-04-2008, 10:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
V_coerulea V_coerulea is offline

Default Asctm ampullaceum 'Gina' X a. moulmienense 'Christopher'

I've been thinking about potting in some EpiWeb. Will you keep us updated on
your trials? I don't think anyone would consider it an advertisement. It's
good solid information we can all use. Thanks.
Gary

"Ray B" wrote in message
FWIW, I've been finding that they do really well in EpiWeb pots or baskets
of EpiWeb chunks. The little droplets of water are held in the web
without any fear of restricting air flow.

I find that it doesn't take any more care than normal empty-basket culture
(possibly less), and I've been experimenting with the depth, figuring a
taller pot full of the chunks might hold onto more water droplets.

I have two neostylis plants (Neofinetia falcata x Rhynchostylis Mary
Motes) next to each other. One is in a 4" deep basket about 10" in
diameter (the root system dictated that), the other is about 9" tall.
Both were being grown really dry when I got them late last year, and they
are both putting out new rots like mad. So far, I can tell no difference.

"v_coerulea" wrote in message
. ..
It's a younger plant but has the same color. I grow Asctm mounted and in
a basket. I think it depends on your preference and watering habits.If
you use a basket, use large chunky stuff that doesn't break down very
fast or hold lots of water. Since the plants are fairly small I use
pumice rock where weight isn't an issue as it might be in a 12 or 14"
basket. I use 6" baskets for single plants which is plenty as they
mature. The one in the picture is an 8" pot because it's a group of 3
siblings.
Gary

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one I
got from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
"v_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
Here's a basket of this cross. It's a wonderful middle color between
the two parents. All offspring seem to be this color.
Gary