Old 19-04-2008, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Wonderful example of PC interference and down turn in the standard of education

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
On Apr 19, 10:18 am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"OG" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

The preceding article is a piece of fiction - made up for propaganda
purposes and to dupe the gullilble

Oh I see, you don't think the standard of Mathematics has gone down over
the
years?

I do

You used a completely fictional over the top example to try to prove a
point about what you think is the standard of mathematics in education
while simultaneously taking a snide cheap shop at what you believe to
be the effects of political correctness. What you describe as
mathematics is actually arithmetic.
The world has changed. In my day, tables were drilled into us. It
was tedious (and enforced by physical violence) but neccessary to
survive. These days, people do not give the same priority to such
skills. Such is life. The MATHS. syllabus has actually broadenened
since your day and the maths that people do in school is probably now
more interesting ironically. I also had Latin drilled into me. It
is useful for party pieces and once a year where you can be smart
about the origin of some word on a menu in a restaurant.

As for political correctness, give me Joe Brand and tampon jokes over
what passed for comedy on Bristish TV in the early 70s (Irish jokes or
jokes about paki bashing) any day

Des

OK, so you missed the point

Never mind