Old 20-04-2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Ivy mulch?

"rivergarden" wrote in message

This is my first ever post about my first ever garden and I have to
begin by confessing I know next to nothing about gardening. Conversely
my partner and I have just moved into a home by the Thames with a
beautiful mature garden attached so many stupid questions to come. My
first is this. I have just cleared out a load of ivy which has
obviously been growing for some time and contained, between the stems,
a large amount of semi rotted twigs - a builders bag full to be
precise. Whats the best use for this? I dont want to just burn it as it
looks like it contains a lot of nutrients. Should I compost it?

--
rivergarden

It makes good compost, but there is one problem (in addition to making sure
it does not contain poison ivy, which someone else mentioned). That is,
even the tiniest stem of ivy will often root. That means you could find
lots of little ivy plants -- which can be difficult to eradicate -- if you
use it for compost and there are any stems or roots left.

MaryL