Old 20-04-2008, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
ntantiques ntantiques is offline

Default A truly negative skunk....

On Apr 19, 8:54 am, " wrote:
Just this morning my wife and I were doing some work in the garden
when a skunk emerged in our vicinity and proceeded rather slowly to
disappear through the fence. We've seen the same fellow before for the
first time this year around early spring and two things seem strange
about it.... 1) It appears in broad daylight and 2) It's white with a
black stripe along its back. Aren't skunks supposed to be nocturnal
and aren't they supposed to be mainly black with a white stripe?

Our Havahart trap has done well catching 'possums and groundhogs but
don't want to chance it with skunks even though there are several
instructions on how to proceed after catching a skunk with this type
of trap. Instead, we're looking at something like this;

http://sprayproofskunktrap.com/

Anyone with skunk trapping experience with this type of trap? Any bait
recommendations? Thanks!

From what I understand, sometimes healthy, normally nocturnal critters
wander in the daylight when the spirit moves them. Think if they're
nesting or just hungry, they may come out to forage. Could be this
one's discovered a food source and he's just crossing your garden on
the way back home to sleep off his breakfast. We have skunks
wandering our property occasionally too - they seem to stay around for
a bit, then move on. No harm, no foul. Worst damage a skunk ever did
around here was to squirt one of the neighbors - and that was only
after he'd literally stepped on the poor thing in the dark one night.
Wouldn't mess with trying to trap your skunk unless he was creating a
real problem - and then I'd bring in a pro.

Nancy T